Linux System AdministratorApply Now
Location: Needham, MA 02492-1245, Massachusetts 02492-1245
Employment Type: Direct Hire
From its inception, Olin College has sought a team of faculty, administrators and support staff who understand its mission and can help to develop this innovative college in Needham, MA. As with many new organizations, it is imperative to hire individuals who not only carry out their own immediate responsibilities, but who also can contribute to other offices, functions and activities outside the normal scope of a job description. In other words, we are looking for "team players" who understand and support the mission of the college.
Therefore, we will seek employees: who can handle a number of tasks simultaneously ; who are hard working, flexible and adaptable; who can see the big picture and reprioritize their work accordingly; who can work unsupervised and take initiative; who will look for ways to assist other staff when appropriate; who see themselves as an important member of a spirited and dedicated team; and who conduct themselves professionally in all aspects of their language, attitude, appearance and deportment.
The successful candidate will manage the installation, support, administration, and maintenance of all centralized Linux/Unix systems in a heterogeneous environment, including ERP, web, VMWare, email, monitoring systems, and other Linux and Unix-based systems. Additionally, will co-manage other systems and services including iSCSI SAN storage, virtual server environments, backups, and others as necessary. Experience in a large networked environment with good understanding of network fundamentals is essential. The Linux Systems Administrator will also play an essential role in the monitoring and management of the IT infrastructure and assets as well as ensuring compliance with security policies and software licensing.
- Primary responsibility for setup, installation, integration, monitoring, documentation, and maintenance of all Linux-based systems in a centralized IT environment, including, but not limited to; Jenzabar ERP, web, VMWare, monitoring, and email.
- In collaboration with colleagues, develop strategies for effective use of cloud technologies, disaster recovery, and business continuity.
- Provide escalation-level technical support and system engineering for all Linux-based platforms.
- Configure and co-manage VMWare VSphere virtual server environments.
- Configure and co-manage iSCSI-based network storage solutions.
- Draft, schedule, test, and perform backup/restore procedures for all Linux systems.
- Train departmental and community members on Linux operating skills as necessary.
- Work with team members to perform regular system audit and security reviews, including evaluation, implementation, and management of best practices in computer security.
- Work closely with IT staff on integration of Linux systems into a MS Windows Active Directory environment.
- Work with Windows System Administrator on centralized system administration responsibilities, including support of MS Windows servers and Active Directory services.
- Evaluate and support new technologies as necessary.
- Create relevant self-help documentation for campus constituents.
- Assist members of the Olin community in the support of various faculty, research or student-related projects.
- Participate in 24x7 on-call response.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 6+ years of experience in a technology field.
- 2+ years Linux system administration, management, and support experience within a MS Active Directory environment.
- 2+ years managing Linux based web and mail services (Apache, MySQL, PHP, Drupal, Mailman, Sendmail, etc.).
- 2+ years managing and supporting VMWare VSphere virtual server environments
- Demonstrated experience installing and supporting Linux distributions.
- Demonstrated experience with physical networking, network protocols, services, and security, including TCP/IP, Switching, Routing, VLANs, DNS, DHCP, LDAP, and Samba.
- Tuning and scripting experience on Linux platforms.
- Knowledge of standard system tools and the ability to use them to automate complex system tasks.
- Advanced hardware & software troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work well with people from different disciplines and with varying degrees of technical experience.
- Excellent customer service, organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
- Motivated, self-starter willing to learn and apply new technologies where applicable.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent preferred.
- Experience managing and supporting MS Windows Servers and Active Directory services.
- Coding experience in one or more languages.
- Experience installing and maintaining revision control systems such as Subversion and Git
- iSCSI SAN/NAS storage experience.
- Windows Scripting, including Powershell.
- Familiarity with system, network and infrastructure logging and monitoring tools.
- Experience with software packaging and deployment systems such as RPM and yum, and the ability to create custom packages.
- Experience working with and managing servers and services within Cloud based environments.
- Experience implementing, configuring and managing single sign-on solutions.
Can't find your fit?
We get new jobs every day. Send us your resume and we'll let you know when we have the right opportunity for you.